Friday, December 22, 2006

The Most Mysterious Manuscript in the World

The Voynich manuscript is a mysterious illustrated book with incomprehensible contents. It is thought to have been written between approximately 1450 and 1520 by an unknown author in an unidentified script and unintelligible language.

Over its recorded existence, the Voynich manuscript has been the object of intense study by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including some top American and British codebreakers of World War II fame (all of whom failed to decipher a single word). However, Statistical analysis of the text reveals patterns similar to natural languages

The illustrations of the manuscript shed little light on its contents, but imply that the book consists of six "sections", with different styles and subject matter. Except for the last section, which contains only text, almost every page contains at least one illustration.

The question is - who wrote it, what does it say if anything and what was its purpose? We may never know. Source : Wiki

The official site listing its history and a massive gallery - The Voynich Manuscript Homepage


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what would be funny? If that shit ended up being pure jibberish, what a bunch of asshats those guys would be. Then again I bet they would try to make up something then......I bet if they decipher it, its going to be a damn journal talking about "I most loath Bartholimule he doth be a shrewd fellow" or "Tis daybreak, thy foot lumps itch something evil." Then again I could just be ignorant.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone

Just introduce myself: I am a man (says my wife), I am 50 years old (hmm, that looks bad isn't it?) and I am a terrible bad programmer (I say myself).
My hobbies: computer (of course), my 17 years old son and of course my wife. I like to play billiard, I do a very little bit and very simple programming in VB and I try to make a site for my billiard-club in the near future.

so how is everyone doing? Dennis from [url=http://www.myonlinepayday.com]My Online Payday[/url] website!